Saturday, October 13, 2012

the panda quilts: #8 & #9: a tale of two monsterz

A few weeks ago, I was able to complete 2 baby quilts in a few days' time (as you can see, the basic design of these two is really simple, which made that accomplishment even possible). I had some of the Cloud9 Monsterz fabric squirreled away and was just waiting for the right babies to come along so I could use it.

I made this one first. I cut 6" pieces of Monsterz (Adventurez - Mint and Monterz Mash - Orange) and matched it up with some stuff in my stash: Kona School Bus (that's the orange solid fabric) and Aneela Hoey "Cloud Dash Stripes" from the collection "A Walk in the Woods". I made a triangle template to trace out my quilting marks; 2 rows in I realized that if you quilt a bunch of triangles, it'll look like chevrons (duh!). I used some of the leftover "Adventurez" fabric for the binding. This quilt went to a "we're not finding out" couple, and today, they gave birth to a little boy.

________________________________________________________________________
The next quilt went to a little baby boy who lives up the street. His mom & dad are old high school pals of my husband. Little Henry has an older brother & I figured he'd end up with a lot of hand-me-downs, so I wanted to make him something special. I used the same methodology, except this time I cut 10- 5" strips and pieced them together. Aside from the Monsterz and the "Cloud Dash Stripes," I also used one of the new Lotta Jansdotter Bella prints (the orange squigglies) and another grey print (from the "Quilt Blocks" collection). For this one, I did horizontal straight quilting lines between all the strips.



No comments: