Thursday, November 6, 2014

the panda quilts: #32: wonky stars quilt for a baby girl

Remember the king size granny squares quilt I made for some friends back in '12? Well, those friends are having a baby girl next month, and this is the story of that quilt. It started with this fabric, which I purchased at the Fabric Studio here in Nashville (with the intention of it being a quilt back). It's a super adorable, kinda flannel-y Japanese Kokka fabric with sheep on it - how can anyone resist sheep?! I certainly cannot. 
 I picked several gold/yellow and green fabrics from my stash to match this print and cut away...
...and made (9) 14" wonky star blocks. I was able to make the whole top in one evening - it came together quite quickly. 
I used the sheep for the center star and planned on using it for the back, but changed my mind at the last minute. It's 85% cotton, 15% linen, and it's really soft...but I just thought it was a bit heavy to be the sole fabric for the backing. Plus, I didn't know how it would hold up to repeated washings.
Instead, I used this Lizzy House print from the Cat Nap collection. 
I wanted a break from the sewing machine, so: adventures in hand binding, part 3 (in which I watch the movie Carrie while binding).
Here's me with the mama-to-be at the baby shower (+ an adorable little boy). 
I am so very excited for these guys & can't wait to meet their little lady (she'll be here around Christmas). 

No comments: