Wednesday, March 26, 2008

images that make me happy




i like how clicking different links on web pages can bring you to exciting places. i started out on
print and pattern which led me to illustrator helen dardik and her blog (i have a soft spot for helens)...and then to helen's post about mary blair. not a household name by any means - mary was a 'color stylist and designer' for walt disney in the 40s and 50s and worked on my favorites: "peter pan" and "cinderella".  AND she designed the 'it's a small world' ride.  right on!  

i am a SUCKER for stuff like this. if i could live in this alternate cartoony universe, with chocolate milk and elephants and magic slippers and eskimos, i would.  there was an exhibition of her work in san francisco that just closed (mar 18).
we used to have this record.  the choir director on this recording was the choir director at my school in california.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

i love all the ethnically stereotyped character on the record cover. soooo cute!

Anonymous said...

i would live there too if you would let me! i love that stuff! on my home computer i have tons of Japanese links to sites that have images similar to these!!! i will share!

Mandy said...

I, too, dig that art. It's a Small World is just about the only redeeming quality about the Magic Kingdom, in my skeptical opinion.