Thursday, March 13, 2008

random rules



i like the random rules section on the onion av club, so here's my take on it: (my ipod currently has 9,452 songs on it. rollum & i kinda share the ipod. i usually let him use it when he goes out of town and i usually listen to it when i'm at work. i'd say it's about 20% my music, 20% his music, and 60% stuff we both like. that's a total guestimate.) no skipping allowed!

Van Halen, "Everybody Wants Some"
Awesome! Rollum put a 2-disc VH greatest hits collection on the ipod, so i'm happy this song came up and not Hagar. And it's the cheeseburger song from Better Off Dead (my favorite part is when the french fry ladies are soaking their "feet" in the grease). "Everybody wants some...I'll show 'em what everybody wants!" - Lane Meyer
The Beastie Boys, "Lighten Up"
this really sounds like a stoner song. it's got a didgeridoo. carrie & i used to listen to this cassette tape on the way to working daycare at brentwood baptist church during the summer. i must've been about 15.
Radiohead, "Creep" (acoustic version from "My Iron Lung" ep)
it's 90s flashback time! what can you really say about 'creep'? i've never really liked this song too much. i didn't get into radiohead until the bends and i think pablo honey is incredibly dated and lame.
Vampire Weekend, "Campus"
I've only listened to this whole album 1 time through (although I've heard the songs from the ep-thingy a bunch, thanks to Rollum becoming quite obsessed with them). This sounds like a good spring/summer record.
Clinic, "The Majestic #2"
Good, this will give me a chance to go on a discourse about how Internal Wrangler is so awesome, Walking With Thee is okay, and everything after that is not so good. I don't know what happened to them. Several of us drove down to Atlanta to see them when Walking With Thee was out, and they played a 35-minute set. I think it was me, Rollum, Ryan, Ben Patton and Natalina. A random crew. We met Joe and Melinda down there too.
Missing Persons, "Right Now"
This is on the greatest hits but i don't remember ever hearing it. Not as cool as "Words". I think Rollum got this album off Mark's ipod?
Devo, "Girl U Want"
I probably heard Soundgarden's cover before I heard the original version. I like Devo and I think gerald casale is a little cute in the "Whip It" video.
U2, "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"
eh. i kinda like U2, but i'm definitely more of an r.e.m person. I've gotten into the u2 vs. r.e.m. debate a few times. i like u2's older stuff a lot more. i bought the Achtung Baby cassette at Tower with a gift certificate the same day i got Deee Lite's World Clique. this song is inoffensive, but kind of lame.
Spinanes, "Reach V. Speed"
there was a time (1998) when this was one of my favorite songs. it's got sam prekop from the sea & cake on vocals, they do this back-and-forth sort of vocal thing and something about this song really 'got me' when i first heard this album (when i was music director at wmts). hearing stuff from that era makes me pretty nostalgic about my college days, in the same way hearing led zeppelin and the police instantly transports me back to high school. i went to see the spinanes in athens and approached michael stipe after the show & got my picture taken with him (and andrew from elf power).



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that you did this post. I was driving to work this morning with my ipod on random & it shuffled to "Do Me" by Bel Biv Devoe. That's right, BBD. "Smack it up; flip it; rub it down. Oh noooo!"